Replica of Ireland's Mellifont Cross, hand-cast in stone composite 14" x 7"; Item CR-MELL
The Irish Wake offers gorgeous stone Celtic crosses that are detailed replicas of magnificent crosses dotting the landscape of Ireland,
at cathedrals, abbeys, and other sacred places... some towering as much as 15 feet high.
This is a cast stone replica of Ireland's 13th century Mellifont Cross, found in the ruins of the Mellifont Abbey in County Louth. It measures 14" high x 7" wide.
Mellifont was the first Cistercian monastery established in Ireland, completed in 1225. The stem of this beautiful cross is filled with carved ivy leaves, a symbol of everlasting life, and its arms are covered in Ireland's beloved shamrocks, said to be used by St. Patrick to teach the triple nature of God. At its heart is a circle filled with classic Irish knotwork.
Perhaps the most elegant feature of this cross are the intertwined letters IHS at the top, commonly incorporated into ancient cross designs to signify Jesus. Historically, the letters IHS are thought to be either the first three letters of the name Jesus in Greek (Iota, Eta, Sigma) or an abbreviation of the Latin phrase "Iesus Hominum Salvator" meaning "Jesus, Savior of Men."
Authentic to the tiniest detail, this cross is cast by hand in a composite stone material, and has a beautiful antique patina. The cross has a hanger on the back.
These sturdy, substantial crosses are the perfect accompaniment to an Irish funeral memorial service, whether hung on the wall, placed on or in the casket, decorating the podium, or displayed amongst the flowers.
Afterwards, a cross is a touching remembrance for Irish families to display at home as a lasting tribute to their departed loved one.